Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Essay 2


I never quite learned how to fly on my own. That’s probably why I have always wanted to be superhero, because with superheroium (yes, I know a word that spellcheck does not) comes the ability to soar above the entire world. Well, at least that is what Will Stanton (the main character from The Seeker: The Dark is Rising movie) thought, yet we were both heartbreakingly surprised to discover that Will could not fly, even though he was a “superhero.” I remember watching the movie at a friend of mine’s thirteenth birthday party and loving the movie so much that I just had to read to the book. So long story short, I go to the library and pick up a book called The Seeker, as it turned out, this book had absolutely no connection to the movie I’d just see, but I read it anyways. The book I read was actually of part of trilogy of books, by a brilliant author named William Nicholson. Each book began with three separate stories that couldn’t have been more different, yet by the end the three characters were all looking each other straight in the eye, fighting of course, but still looking. Now I’m aware that was probably the most pointless story you’ve ever heard (well since you see thousands of applications I am sure that you have heard of children eating their parents to make themselves stronger and pet unicorns that encourage their senses of imagination, and while I have those stories also, this one seemed more relevant and people-reading worthy).

During my high school career, I’ve learned that certain things in life are simply uncontrollable, like my ability to fly.  And as much I want to have everything in my life go the way I planned, it never happens that way. I remember being in eighth grade and telling myself that I would never take AP classes. Ever. I ended up taking almost all of the AP classes offered at my school and wishing that I could go to the school across the street that has an IB program and more AP classes. In my life, my motto has always been to challenge myself, because even if I fail, I believe that failing is always better than simply not trying at all. As a high school senior, I’ve been given this amazing opportunity to not only reach for the stars, but to land on the moon while I’m flying, figuratively of course. I refused to take the easy path out of high school, and I refuse to take it to get out of college. I want to be challenged not only in my academic career but also in a way that allows me to step off campus and out of my comfort zone. Life is too short to simply remain to simply remain in the shallow end, and because this very well might be my only opportunity to reside on this earth, I am determined to fly, even if it is only in my imagination.

1 comment:

  1. This essay is to me much more focused than the other one, yet it still is a bit all over the place. I am not sure what question you are answering, and I need to know to understand the response. You have a voice present here, but not really an answer yet. It is very evasive. I think you want to be more clear about what it is you have done while in high school. Also, the reference to the school across the street with the IB program and AP classes - which school is that? Where was that? Why couldn't you go there? It seems a bit like creative, entertaining, rambling that is clever and fun but elusive, and since they are trying to get to know you I am not sure you are fulfilling your purpose here.

    ReplyDelete

If you are for some reason feeling sad, how would you go about making yourself feel better?

How do you think society promotes the need for other people in order to be happy?

In what ways, do you believe one can measure happiness?

In what ways, do you think society promotes a feeling happiness all the time?

Typically, is it normal to be happy all the time?